How do I handle international filings?

Ultimately, to protect your invention in other countries, you must file for patent in other countries.  Unfortunately, this process can be enormously expensive-multiple times more expensive than the cost of protecting in the US. Thankfully, there are procedures you can use to delay that expense for 30 months or more after you first file for patent. Your US patent attorney leads that effort with patent attorneys in all of the different countries—there (thankfully!) is no need for you to look for even more patent attorneys.


Steven Saunders is an Intellectual Property Attorney at the Boston-based law firm, Nutter. Steven can be reached at

For more information about Steven, See Steven’s Martin Trust Center Biography at:


Was this article helpful?
1 out of 1 found this helpful



Please sign in to leave a comment.

This website and all posts and content are intended for educational purposes only and for no other purposes including without limitation commercial purposes. Any other use must give proper attribution to the Martin Trust Center and is subject to certain legal rights contained in our license and terms of use. See full legal disclaimer HERE .
The content in this knowledgebase is subject to a non-exclusive license with share-alike restrictions and the terms of use of this site – which is available for your review HERE .

Have more questions?
Submit a request
Share it, if you like it.