What do I need to know about fundraising / investment?

Take-aways on a talk in the Trust Center on 8/9/16 

Did you know? Early stage startups

  • Put effort in knowing your investors! Investors are not just a synonym for money. It makes a lot of difference who you choose.
  • Ways to raise early stage capital today: Angels, friends and family, grants, crowd funding, debt, customers, competitions, banks, VCs and more…
    • There are a lot of different flavors to each one, for example:

Clients- vendor financing

Crowd funding – lots of different platforms

  • Half of the startups in the US exit after they get their seed. The ones who grow and make a difference also need to take the larger bet.

Investments through the life cycle of startups                                     

  • Investment opportunities change over time
    • Early stage startups are the most crowded space. You have a lot of options for investments.
    • Investment trends change over time. Today, the seed stage is running much longer than in the past - you need to get more progress to get to round A

Angels, VCs and bootstrapping

  • Angels: individuals who invest out of their own check book. Are usually not able to follow on since their pockets are not deep enough
  • VCs: Range across the “whole umbrella” (various stages/ rounds). Don’t invest their own money but rather money that comes out of a shared fund (institutional investors).
  • Bootstrapping: Getting money without reaching out to external investors (grants, competitions, customers payments)
    • Non-dilutive = “free”. Your shares do not get diluted over time - grants, prizes. The only con for these types of money streams is that getting them is very time consuming… “Money value of time”

Convertible notes (debt)

  • This should not be your end game. You want to take convertible notes when you need to gain some cash quickly and in a simple way to fill specific gaps between raising priced rounds.
    • If you have time – invest in raising seed funds instead!
    • Priced rounds = Equity rounds (series seed/ A/B…)
  • This is a loan, a promise to pay back money that someone gave you with stocks + interest instead of cash.
    • Pay attention to this commitment – don’t give away too much equity before even raising an A round
  • Two main concepts
    • Discount: an extra incentive for the investors that helps alleviate concerns around risky deals.
    • Valuation cap: this is a concept that was raised since the note holder’s share was almost washed out completely when a priced round was closed.
      • Setting a very high valuation cap this might make it harder for you to raise funds later (depends on how strong your product is and how the market changes).
      • Setting a very low one gives the note holders an incentive to see you raise low valuation for future rounds because this way they suffer less dilution
    • You’ll need to negotiate both the discount and the valuation cap to get money from the note holder. As a note holder you don’t get both but you most likely will choose the better out of the two.
  • Selling your company or bankrupting before raising series A funds
  • With Bankruptcy, convertible notes are just another line of obligation you have to your lenders (and will most likely will just be wiped out)
  • If you sell your company, there’s no one clear way that the market deals with it. There will be a formula set in advance between you and the note holder depends on projections you make.

Surprising facts about early stage VC investments

  • It’s all about relationships! The human being connection is extremely important and much more important than you can ever expect.
  • The amount of money is not that big: Don’t expect all deals to be unicorns. $6B total a year is raised across the US
  • Late stage financing does not usually come from VCs: 87% of the money that goes to unicorns in that stage comes from PE/ public investors (VCs can’t afford it)
  • Learn to give up some control: when you raise funds from outside investors you company is no longer 100% yours so you need to accept it!
  • You’re not just “paying” to get money: Giving up control is also for getting guidance, networking, and credibility. As a CEO, you need someone to make your job less lonely. All of these are not on the term sheet but are added values

How do VCs make their money?

  • It’s a very ritualized process:
    • you pitch
    • there is a decision made behind locked doors: decision making process varies but needs to be a decision of the firm and not just individual
    • you receive a term sheet: this shouldn’t be a surprise, you should discuss the terms in advance with your potential investors
    • financing documentations are processed: lawyers included
    • sign up and close: sometime the money is received upon achieving milestones

Who are the VCs

  • There isn’t that much diversity in this community.
  • Very rare for an individual partner to close more than a couple deals a year.
  • Investors put ~1% of the company’s total fund when closing a deal.
    • Limited partners: they will put in 98%-99% of the money and the VCs will kick in the remaining 1%.the LP will be able to attract investments from other funds as well.

How do the VCs make their money

  • IRR = internal rate of return (this is a rate of return with a time component to it)
  • 2% fees and 20% carry are what VCs get
    • Fees- % VC gets of the total funds size, regardless of the deals they close
    • Carry- the VCs split on the profit from return on investments. LPs will get 80% and the VCs get the remaining 20% and split it.
    • It’s usually 1-2 deals that will make the profit out for the entire fund.
Was this article helpful?
3 out of 3 found this helpful



Please sign in to leave a comment.

This website and all posts and content are intended for educational purposes only and for no other purposes including without limitation commercial purposes. Any other use must give proper attribution to the Martin Trust Center and is subject to certain legal rights contained in our license and terms of use. See full legal disclaimer HERE .
The content in this knowledgebase is subject to a non-exclusive license with share-alike restrictions and the terms of use of this site – which is available for your review HERE .

Have more questions?
Submit a request
Share it, if you like it.