There is a great deal of conflicting materials out there about work life balance in the context of a startup. The reality is, once again, that there is no single right answer. What works for one person and one startup may not work for another person in a different startup.
What you can do: Read up on what people are saying, then forget it all, and think about what makes sense for you in your startup today. This is also something you want to reassess periodically over time - things change, and you need to adapt to new conditions continually to make sure things continue to work for you.
Here are a few articles on work life balance.
- "Rethinking work-life balance" - Techcrunch
- "Four ways startup employees fail at work-life balance" - Entrepreneur.com
- "Silicon Valley: Work Life balance is for losers, not closers" - Forbes
- "Get a life outside your startup: 22 tips" - Inc.
- "How to have it all: Advice from 10 rockstar startup executives who are parents" - Business Insider
- "7 ways to instill work-life balance at your startup" - Mashable